Saturday, February 5, 2011

Nostalgia


There are many triggers to nostalgia, I have found in my life - sometimes it is a smell. Sometimes a taste. The different senses manipulate the exact experience of the moment into something your brain can not only interpret but also relate to outside of where you currently are. And I sincerely believe, with absolutely no scientific proof, that these triggers (whatever chemicals you want to call them) set off a series of events which (in a split second at times) brings you to a completely unexpected memory.

A few very recent ones I wanted to share:
1. Snowstorm in Chicago - I heard about it. And I sent my best wishes along. But as soon as I saw pictures of the snow blanketing the city, I felt this pang. I had missed out on something so phenomenal and exciting. Granted, it was probably pretty ridiculous to be in, but those are the events that make snow worth experiencing (in some ways). I obviously hope and pray no one was hurt, but thinking about how I would've reacted or what I would've done had I still been living in Chicago. It brings me back to a very specific memory with my car and my apartment and my flat screen TV and DVR. So many things come flooding back. The route to the office. Hearing my friends and coworkers complain. Doing some of the complaining myself. Running out of battery on my phone while trying to text people to see how they are doing. Can I just say that I really missed out on something huge (literally) and I miss Chicago - which means all you crazies out there as well!

2. In relation to the aforementioned, I saw a few pictures from a party back in the day at my office and then read an email from a colleague recently where she mentioned a redux of a house warming party. Brought me back to a specific chair in the bar and the house respectively. And then the memories and smells and experiences...

OK none of this is helped by the fact that my better half just jumped on a flight back to Iowa. She's currently above Michigan according to a flight tracker program that's showing me the exact location of the flight. Her trip here was just unbelievable. Not only did we hit London (a previous post) but we were also able to spend some quality time discussing her career and future in line with what is about to explode into a career & soul searching frenzy on my end :) She basically came at the exact time that I needed her here to bounce off some very integral thoughts about our future together and where we wanted to settle as well as how it related to our respective families around the world. Obviously I miss her, but I'm also excited to hear about her career and get started to converge at some point in the near future - when you have goals and are keeping busy, I think long distance can be easy/comfortable to maintain.

Oh - and there was a great house party where she cooked an epic meal for my housemates. A little odd since she was the guest, but she's a trooper and I thank her for being patient with me when I randomly ran around between classes, meetings, homework, and home to spend some time with her. It was also my (and my housemates') first real Thai meal since we got to France - Green Curry (Veggies & Chicken), Mama noodles (Shrimp), Basil Pork (since she was unable to locate minced Chicken), and Eggplant with Sour Cream & Garlic. The entire house was in awe and ate enough to sustain a food coma until quite late the next day...  she even braved a grocery store on her own (with a friend of mine who doesn't speak French). If that's not patience (and if you visit and try to shop without speaking a word of French you'll understand), I don't know what is!

All in all a great trip. Albeit short. Made sense for all that was happening.. More to followith pictures and so on, but that's the general gist of the week! Also hit a really romantic French restaurant on her last night!

Finally, I'm sending out my best wishes to anyone in the turmoil stricken areas of the world. Odd to see things spiral out of control but from my experiences in hearing what people on the ground had to say during the Red Shirt protests in 2010 and what was being covered, I'm trying to read with scrutiny. I encourage you to do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment